Donate SIGN UP

How do I estimate my tax?

Avatar Image
divegirl | 09:42 Wed 30th May 2012 | Business & Finance
7 Answers
Good Morning, I have recently registered self employed and although I know there is probably a number I can ring I am sick and tired of sitting on hold on 0844 numbers!
I just need a ball park figure of how much I should save each month to pay my tax bill.
I earn approx £680 pm and get Child and working Tax credit of £130 a week [although I don't think that that is taken into account].
I am paying my NI contribution direct debit so thats sorted but I have just completed my first month and need to put some away.
It has been suggested that a save 20% of all I earn ,I know that will be over the top but at least I would be covered.

Lisa x


1 to 7 of 7rss feed

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by divegirl. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

For more on marking an answer as the "Best Answer", please visit our FAQ.
My husband is self employed but paid under the construction scheme which means that 20% of his earnings are deducted each week & paid to the tax man. This means that we can guarantee a rebate once we've done the tax return each year, so yes I would definately say put aside 20%. That way you should have more than enough to pay the bill when it's due
Don't know how accurate this is, but here's a website that might help
Question Author
Many thanks to you both :0)
You earn £680 per month and also receive £565 per month in so-called tax credits.
My understanding of a 'credit' is a balancing payment of a proportion of an initial amount.
As a basic rate tax payer your monthly tax liability would be £0.92 and nat ins of £5.68.

As self employed on those figures you appear not to have to put anything aside.

Tax Credits........................Sounds like a handout to me.....
I'm not sure how you worked that out Kinell, on those figures Lisa will be earning just under £15,000 a year and unless she has a very high tax code there will be tax to pay.'s not a hand out. It's to keep parents in employment. It's to ensure they are better off working.

I don't know what the allowance is now (£6k??) so you will only be liable for tax on the remainder.
-- answer removed --

1 to 7 of 7rss feed

Do you know the answer?

How do I estimate my tax?

Answer Question >>