Donate SIGN UP

Shaver socket and European plug

Avatar Image
scrummyyummy | 13:11 Mon 05th Oct 2009 | How it Works
15 Answers
I have just bought a waterpik which has a European 2 pin plug which fits into the shaver socket in my bathroom but it's not a snug fit and is too loose so only works when I wiggle it and hold on to it. I've compared the plug with my hubby's shaver and although the prongs are both 2 pin, the waterpik one is slightly thinner. Can I presume a European plug is thinner than our shaver sockets? I have a travel converter which the plug fits perfectly but I don't like the thought of dragging an extension into the bathroom. Am I correct in saying European plugs are thinner than our shaver plugs? Can I buy a wall shaver socket that would fit a European plug?


1 to 15 of 15rss feed

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by scrummyyummy. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

For more on marking an answer as the "Best Answer", please visit our FAQ.
"Can I buy a wall shaver socket that would fit a European plug? "
Wouldn't it be easier to chop the plug off, and replace it with a shaver plug?
Do they sell shaver plugs, Rojash? I think they are all welded onto the shaver cords.
Question Author
That's my problem as I don't think they sell shaver plugs as Panic Button said. It seems everything is welded on these days.
"Do they sell shaver plugs, Rojash?"
Apparently not - how things have changed since I left the UK!
They are welded on because otherwise some bright-spark will try and put an electrical device bought in Europe (and which maybe requires significant power) into a UK bathroom shaver socket designed only to supply a small electrical current (about 30mA).
UK bathroom shaver sockets must satisfy BS3535, which means they have an isolating transformer inside which generally limits the power to about 8W. Shavers and electric toothbrushes both consume less power than this.

This is what you need to buy - it thens plugs into a normal UK 13A socket - not into a shaver socket. />
Anyway, what is a waterpik?
Try again.
Website gremlins. (Or go to Maplins website and type euro convertor into the search engine)
Question Author
Thanks for your help, Buildersmate. I've checked your link and it looks like a posher version of the conversion plug I have already. My problem is the waterpik needs to be used next to a sink (in reply to your question, a waterpik is like what they use at the dentist when the tube squirts water at pressure to give your teeth a proper clean. It's meant to be better than flossing). The cord it comes with isn't that long, probably about the same as an electric toothbrush, so even with the converter, I am still having to plug it into a UK extension plug and drag it into the bathroom which is not ideal, especially when water is involved.

I don't think there's going to be any solution to this. I was hoping the French plug would be the same as a shaver plug but unfortunately, the prongs on the French plug are slightly thinner so isn't a snug enough fit in my shaver socket.
How many watts is this device?

I've just looked at one and it says it's 100 watts!!!!

As BM says that won't run on a shaversocket!

I'd imagine the only way something that powerful could be run in a bathroom would be for it to be permanently wired in by a qualified electrician
Correct, Jake, and there are all manner of hoops to be jumped through. The rules for ensuring no human gets anywhere near touching an electrical cable in the bathroom are really tight in the UK. The French and other contiinentals don't seem so fussed if they lose a few to electrocution. If this thing is double-insulated (two square symbols inside one another) and it also bears the marking 'IP55' somewhere on it, it is perhaps OK to use it near the kitchen sink.
"The French and other contiinentals don't seem so fussed if they lose a few to electrocution."

Not quite true. Here in mainland Europe we tend to have a more sophisticated and safer way of wiring our houses.
Go one

Please explain
Intriguing. Care to elaborate, Roj? My comment was intended a bit tougue in cheek.
Historically in the UK, you've had the 13 amp ring main, which means that a bathroom socket can deliver a lot of current ans is not protected separately from the rest of the house. Hence the isolating transformer on shaver sockets.

Most of Europe has never used the ring main, but separate circuits for different sections of the house (even individual sockets in some cases) with appropriate protection for each circuit. With the advent of high-speed cutouts and RCBs, we already had the correct "infrastructure" and regulations in place to take best advantage of the technology.
Question Author
Jake, I've checked on the box and the voltage says 230V AC 50HZ. I can't seem to find the wattage on it. I obviously know nothing about electrics!
Is there a model number on it?

1 to 15 of 15rss feed

Do you know the answer?

Shaver socket and European plug

Answer Question >>

Related Questions

Sorry, we can't find any related questions. Try using the search bar at the top of the page to search for some keywords, or choose a topic and submit your own question.