Donate SIGN UP

Insurance, not driving?

Avatar Image
djtdjt | 20:01 Mon 18th Apr 2011 | Motoring
10 Answers
If you keep a car outside your house on a public road and you are not going to drive it for some time, obviously it has to be taxed ( on highway), but does it require insurance if it's not going to be driven?


1 to 10 of 10rss feed

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by djtdjt. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

For more on marking an answer as the "Best Answer", please visit our FAQ.
Logic would dictate no, as it is the driver who is insured, not the vehicle. However I do not know the relevant law, which is not always logical.
Since February that is the legal situation however (although expected sometime soon) I am unaware of a specific date that enforcement of the law will commence.
I think it would need to be insured if it is kept on a public road.
what happens if someone vandalises it?
what about if someone crashed into it and it then hit something else?
what happens if it catches on fire?
You don't have to be driving to be caught without insurance, now you can also be caught if you keep a vehicle without insurance.If your vehicle does not have insurance and a SORN has not been made, you could face a fixed penalty of 100 quid, the vehicle being clamped, seized and a court prosecution with a fine of up to 1000 quid.
Unless a vehicle is not on the public highway, and SORN has been declared, there must now (since 4th February) be an insurance policy in place which covers that vehicle

Scheme details here:

Legislation here:

Order bringing that legislation into force from 04/02/11 here:

Under CIE, the registered keeper of a vehicle will be responsible for ensuring that insurance is in place and will be contacted if the vehicle does not appear on the MID. It is anticipated that the first letters will be issued around June 2011.
It is quite true that the "Continuous Insurance" regulations recently introduced require that all vehicles kept on the road are covered by the compulsory Third Party insurance as explained by Chris. However, the circumstances outlined by bednobs involve risks that do not fall under the compulsory insurance category.

Minimum Third Party cover as required by law would not cover vandalism; it would not cover damage caused by fire; it would not cover damage caused by a collision whilst it was parked and if it was pushed int a third vehicle as a result of such an impact the driver of the moving car would be liable.

1 to 10 of 10rss feed

Do you know the answer?

Insurance, not driving?

Answer Question >>