Donate SIGN UP

Could A Pettycrime Committed 17 Years Ago Stop Me From Getting A Travel Visa To Australia?

Avatar Image
winkyridg | 17:16 Thu 20th Jul 2017 | Travel
5 Answers
I was convicted in January 2000 of Theft from an Employer, was working as a window renovator and did a cash in hand job on the side using my bosses materials, Timber and Plastic, he found out and went to the Police.

I received a £200 fine and a 2 year conditional discharge, this is the only blot on my record.

I'm all booked to go to Australia in November but didn't reckon on a visa being a problem, i need to provide a Police certificate which I've sent off for, immigration want to know the purpose of my visit, the dates of my visit, what I plan to do when I leave Australia, e.g Go back to my home country, the events leading up up to what i was convicted for and why I did it, i'm stressed to the hilt as I'm supposed to be taking 2 of my daughter's and it's all paid for, any help would be greatly appreciated.


1 to 5 of 5rss feed

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by winkyridg. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

For more on marking an answer as the "Best Answer", please visit our FAQ.
you can read about it here

It says you won't be allowed in if you have a "substantial criminal record". My guess is you've got nothing of the sort and you'll be allowed in.
I don't think it will be a problem - it is not a particularly serious offence and the conviction is now presumably spent. The main thing they are concerned about is whether you will pose a public risk and I don't think, from what you say, that there is any evidence that you do.
Question Author
Thanks for your replies, i feel a little better now :-)
Enjoy your trip!!
"...and the conviction is now presumably spent."

I don't think you'll have a problem either, but a warning to beware of the term "spent". Spent convictions are those which, under the terms of the UK's Rehabilitation of Offenders' Act (ROA), need not be declared to prospective employers. The period before they become spent is dependent upon the sentence imposed (not the offence). As examples, a conviction which was dealt with by way of a Conditional Discharge is spent as soon as the Discharge period is over whereas an offence which attracted a custodial sentence of more than four years is never spent.

However, the Act is only applicable in the UK. (It also has several exceptions mainly where the job or position involves regular contact with children or vulnerable adults, some positions in the finance industry and those connected with policing or the judicial system.) It has no bearing outside the UK. Foreign countries can ask any questions they deem fit for things such as visas and they must be answered truthfully.

1 to 5 of 5rss feed

Do you know the answer?

Could A Pettycrime Committed 17 Years Ago Stop Me From Getting A Travel Visa To Australia?

Answer Question >>

Related Questions

Sorry, we can't find any related questions. Try using the search bar at the top of the page to search for some keywords, or choose a topic and submit your own question.